The phrase “digital marketing consultant” is often misunderstood by organizations. In the marketing industry, there have been various misunderstandings regarding marketing consultants as a career and as a consulting role.
For decades, consulting service has been defined as commercial services with a focus on company management. Therefore, to keep up with the changing corporate world, consultants had to improve sales and marketing activities. Advertising and marketing agency has also expanded their consulting services to include automation, digital transformation, branding, and data analytics.
By delivering highly specialized consultation in areas like SEO, SMM, PPC, and content marketing, freelancers have begun to redefine the word.
What Is a Digital Marketing Consultant?
The title “digital marketing consultant” identifies highly skilled digital marketers who are strategic thinkers with extensive branding, marketing platform, and campaign management expertise. Businesses appoint consultants on a contract basis to handle marketing issues or perform research and audits.
Consultants are cost-effective and quick promoters for digital marketing operations. Consultants also assist in the rise of digital marketing media, marketing technologies, and paid media (PPC). As per Report Linker stats, the consulting services in the USA are estimated to cross $46.1b in 2021.
Over time, the concept of marketing consultancy has changed. The tremendous growth of social networks and technologies is one of the primary causes of this revolution. As a consequence, marketing approaches and programs were altered, and online platforms began to develop and ultimately overtake old media platforms.
As a result of this change, a generation of young digital marketers developed, redesign advertising to keep up with the social media movement. Furthermore, the user experience and shopping behavior have been at the center of the transition, and customer habits are shifting rapidly.
What is a Digital Marketing Consultants Do?
One of the challenges is setting goals without knowing how or why to achieve them. The 4 factors that help with an understanding of digital marketing consultants are as follows:
- Assist with uncertainty: Consultants’ primary task is to find the problems. The name “consultant” reflects the description of the role. When it comes to finding successful marketing solutions, businesses and brand managers frequently search for expert consultants to solve their marketing problems. If the company were unable to properly define the problem, then it is the consultant’s responsibility to explore, identify, and make suggestions in this matter.
- Transform the marketing: Appointing a digital marketing consultant differs from employing a full-time marketer. The biggest value of the consultants is to bring the changes that the company needs. It’s not about executing the job; it’s about analyzing marketing goals, processes, and tracking. The biggest benefit is to make positive changes to the marketing division, from reorganizing and hiring to developing new strategic goals and optimization strategies.
- Improve the knowledge: Business owners would like to hire a digital marketing specialist because they appoint consultants to get advanced knowledge and hands-on expertise. These include optimization paid media, SMM strategy, programmatic advertising, lead generation and marketing automation. The consultant’s deep experience is important for businesses that have an in-house marketing team that needs to train for their skill development.
- Consultants are partners: Consultants, unlike agencies, are free of conflict, complexity, expenses, and corporate practices. They act as advisers and are results-driven, so they are aligned with the company’s goals. The use of consultants helps business managers to get an independent expert to examine marketing effectiveness and strategies. The main advantage of this partnership is that it is outside of any conflict.
Ultimately, the goal to expand the business and, more significantly, to manage the marketing budget drives these key principles of how a marketing consultant could do to reform the digital marketing team and deliver advanced expertise.
The Importance of Digital Marketing Consultant for Businesses
- Fast Transformation of Digital Marketing:
Digital marketing has changed. Organic reach will be over soon for continuous algorithm changes of social media. Digital marketing media are becoming more complex in terms of management & paid advertising.
AI & Machine Learning are the future of technology. Even customers are changing fast, as social media users are no longer the same as 3 years ago. Today’s generation is changing, so the content, creatives, behavior, and even platforms. Social media applications, algorithms, and customized timelines are changing targeting. Businesses must act fast or their marketing strategies will become outdated.
- Competition is Getting Harder
Everything is becoming more competitive nowadays. Everyone competes on Google & social media. Facebook claims around 80 million smaller businesses use its free business tools. The digital generation of customers is altering all purchasing behavior.
To compete in this market, you must be ahead of the competitors and hire the greatest brains possible. But finding full-time digital marketing specialists with advanced expertise may be difficult and costly.
- Lack of Right Strategy
The most common marketing mistake is not having a proper strategy. Interestingly, I’ve spoken to hundreds of companies of all sizes, and I find the most common problem is the lack of marketing strategy. Some businesses had in-house marketing staff for years, but no real plan.
Having a successful marketing plan is not easier for businesses to prepare for many reasons. A few of the issues related to project management and frequent marketing change. Thus, marketing consultation is vital in determining the appropriate strategic approach by analyzing data.
- Inconsistent Marketing & Sales
The connection between marketing & sales is sometimes defined as “mission impossible.” Companies try to address this issue by integrating it with their development department. The greatest obstacle, in the end, comes from the competition between these two divisions.
Massive investment in tech is being made today to manage the process, allowing us to follow the client journey & set up contributions. CRMs & clouds have tried to address these problems by including advanced tracking & automation.
An expert consultant may assist with transformation strategy and execution. As a result, marketing cloud service providers frequently engage consulting firms to assist businesses with migration and training.
- Differences in Marketing & Business Goals
Management struggles with the gap between business & marketing goals. The challenges vary by type of business. Lack of consistency within marketing & sales is the most prominent B2B problem. Big businesses may have gaps because of procedure & isolated marketing departments.
Connecting marketing with company goals is not as easy as it seems. It usually requires a lot of research, expertise, and data processing to come to conclusions. A digital marketing consultant is an external resource with a strategic vision and marketing experience. In addition to a solid process and structure, a marketing consultant may provide vast experience.
- Failure to Measure Marketing Performance
Big data is responsible for the biggest transformation in digital marketing. Trackability changed the market, and activity is evaluated in tables and charts.
Moreover, most marketers realize that certain marketing strategies, like organic lead generation and brand building, take time. The issue is that marketing departments spend more time reporting than coming up with new ideas. Integrating marketing specialists with marketing strategic plans can help to evaluate performance.
- Lack of Local Market Knowledge
Though some businesses may have a regional marketing staff, hiring in-house local marketers for every region is difficult. Companies wanting to develop and invest in new areas are looking for local marketing specialists with strong customer and market knowledge.
Marketing consultants are basically specialists in a certain area or market with years of expertise. They can talk to the business about potential risks and opportunities. The online marketing consultant would be an efficient solution for organizations during the early stages of developing a local marketing plan.
- Expensive Marketing Resources
The most crucial stage in developing a successful marketing strategy is headhunting. Having the appropriate digital marketing expertise is what divides any brand we have seen on the internet. As per Steve Jobs, the right worker shouldn’t need to be supervised since they know what they’re doing. Moreover, in a competitive world, it is difficult to afford the talented employees available.
Initially, employing a consultant offers numerous cost-effective advantages, such as negotiating and part-time contracts that may be completed remotely. In most cases, the contract is associated with specific outcomes and activities. According to a Credo survey, the average fee of digital marketing consultants around the world is $140 per hour, with 41.25% charging below $100 per hour.
Digital Marketing Consultant – Area of Expertise
The complete stack consultant is quite unusual in the online world. However, depending on their shown experience and expertise, there will always be the best consultants who are good in certain areas. As a result, it’s critical for businesses to choose a consultant that understands their interests and strategic goals.
Due to the complexities of the online world, digital marketing consulting consists of various skills. As a result, it’s critical to identify one of the most vital areas to evaluate right now.
- Market Research: Analyzing the market, competition analysis, buyer personality analysis, and online media trends to discover opportunities.
- Marketing Strategy: Develop and execute a marketing plan based on the goals, budget, and resources available.
- Marketing Management: Assess the marketing processes to make suggestions for improvements to the structure, employment, responsibilities, and procedure.
- UX Design Analysis: Conduct a website analysis to understand the customer’s online behavior better and develop a strategy.
- Brand Consulting: Provide brand placement, branding strategy, brand awareness, and advertising campaign guidelines.
- SEO Consulting: Deliver SEO analysis, SEO audit, keyword research, and optimization strategy.
- PPC Consulting: Perform a PPC assessment, analysis, technological integration, as well as optimization strategy.
- SMM Consulting: Develop a social media presence, optimize social platforms, implement a sponsored social strategy, and create a campaign plan.
- Content Marketing: Create a content plan and schedule, as well as inbound marketing & email operations.
- Marketing Analytics: Create a marketing analytical plan, combine marketing data, set up data analytical framework, and develop a marketing dashboard.
- Marketing Technology: Research marketing technology requirements and provide guidance on how to set up automation solutions.
Businesses with in-house digital marketing teams may not be aware of their weaknesses. If they don’t take action and update their strategy, they may not improve in marketing. As a result, businesses are aware of the consequences of losing customers or brand positioning for ineffective marketing or poor performance management. That is why in-house teams are looking for experienced digital marketing consultants.
When it comes to developing a successful strategy, consultants may assist organizations to fill in the gaps as well as provide marketing advice. While skilled consultants cost more per hour than ordinary agencies but they generate more value. Because they are only required for a few hours’ work every week or every month, they reduce cost.
Several freelancing websites report that most business owners depend on digital marketing to increase sales and profits. Company owners are constantly seeking digital marketing specialists to assist with their marketing strategy as well as conversion metrics. Because a high-skilled marketing consultant can minimize useless campaigns and save advertising expenses.
Having 11 years of experience as a digital marketer and marketing strategist. SEO, SMM, PPC, performance marketing, marketing automation, and growth hacking are some of my specialties. I provide digital marketing consultancy services all around the world.